Former Liverpool striker Dean Saunders has insisted that the club has not missed Philippe Coutinho since his departure to Barcelona in the January transfer window of last year, and said they should not look to bring him back.
Coutinho transferred to Barcelona last season but has not been able to make an impression on the fans. The Brazil international has had trouble even being in the starting lineup this season, and is widely assumed to be leaving before the new campaign starts.
One of the clubs mooted as his destination is Liverpool but Saunders believes that such a move would not do the club any good and they should refrain from bringing Coutinho back.
#LFC “haven’t missed” Philippe Coutinho and have no need to bring him back, says Dean Saunders, with the Reds having done a “good deal” with Barcelona that has allowed them to improve without him.
“Positionally have they missed him? No.”https://t.co/XaezCBBUay
— Anfield HQ (@AnfieldHQ) July 4, 2019
He told talkSPORT: “Liverpool haven’t missed him. They lost one game all season and lost the league by one point when Man City won each of their last 14 games, so they didn’t bottle it.
Positionally have they missed him? No. [Sadio] Mane, [Mohamed] Salah and [Roberto] Firmino are the front three, and [Divock] Origi and [Xherdan] Shaqiri have come in and done their bit.”
“What a good deal it was – they sold Coutinho for £142m and they signed Van Dijk, Fabinho, Keita, Shaqiri, Alisson… and won the Champions League! Great business, well done Jurgen Klopp. You get lots of criticism in football, but that was a good move.”
It remains to be seen where Coutinho will end up playing next season, especially considering that Neymar could make a return to Barcelona. If that is indeed the case, then he will not have a place in the Barcelona first team.