Argentina and Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi is widely considered to be one of the greatest players, if not the greatest player in the history of the sport and has been in brilliant form even this season as he continues to amaze both fans and media on a daily basis.
Despite his stupendous form, the 31-year-old is only ranked as the seventh most valuable player in the world, that is according to a study by the CIES Football Observatory. Messi is valued at €171.2 million, with six players ahead of him with the list headed by France and Paris Saint-Germain youngster Kylian Mbappe who has a value of €218.5 million.
Barcelona have two representatives in the list, with Philippe Coutinho joing Messi in ninth place, with a transfer value of €157m.
The top 10 list is given below:
1. Kylian Mbappe (PSG) – €218.5m
2. Harry Kane (Tottenham) – €200.3m
3. Neymar (PSG) – €197.1m
4. Raheem Sterling (Manchester City) – €185.8m
5. Mohamed Salah (Liverpool) – €184.3m
6. Paulo Dybala (Juventus) – €171.9m
7. Lionel Messi (Barcelona) – €171.2m
8. Romelu Lukaku (Manchester United) – €162m
9. Philippe Coutinho (Barcelona) – €157m
10. Leroy Sane (Manchester City) – €156.1m