When you are battling excess kilos, it is your own lethargy and the difficulty in performing everyday tasks with ease that make your life really difficult. When 34-year-old Ramniveth G realised that it was getting really difficult to even do the smallest chores, he decided to change his lifestyle for good. Read on to know his inspiring weight loss journey.
Name: Ramniveth G
Occupation: Electrical engineer
Age: 34 years
Height: 5 feet 7 inches
Highest weight recorded: 99.6 kilos
Weight lost: 24 kilos
Duration it took me to lose weight: 6 months
The turning point: I was trying my best to maintain my weight during my student days but once I began working, my health went for a toss. Thanks to the undefined work-life balance and unhealthy lifestyle, my weight went from 78 kilos to a whopping 99.6 kilos.
Ultimately, my weight touched a massive 100 kilos and I became a borderline diabetic. That is when I realised that enough is enough and I desperately needed to lose weight to get back in shape.
My breakfast: I eat two boiled eggs with a handful of almonds/walnuts and raisins. Sometimes, I also have an avocado smoothie with brown sugar.
My lunch: I eat a regular meal with a moderate quantity of rice and more vegetables.
My dinner: Two chapatis or a portion of tropical fruits or a bowl of soup sometimes.
Pre-workout meal: A handful of walnuts and raisins along with a cup of green tea.
Post-workout meal: A cup of low-fat yoghurt
My workout: I started doing cardio for 20 minutes at home. Gradually, I also began going to the gym and used to run on the treadmill for 30 minutes.
Low-calorie recipes I swear by: I consume chicken or fish once in a week and completely avoid red meat. I have also stopped eating junk food for once and for all, swapped soft drinks with green tea, included more salads and increased water intake. I also made it a point to only eat homemade food.
Fitness secrets I unveiled: I have realised that strict management of your diet accounts for 70 per cent of your weight loss efforts and the rest 30 per cent is working out properly. So, instead of only sweating it out in the gym, pay attention to what you are eating.
How do I stay motivated? My wife was my biggest motivator as she helped me throughout my weight loss journey. Additionally, my friends and family were my pillars of support and kept me motivated with their compliments and words of motivation.
How do you ensure you don’t lose focus? I have understood that the continuous repetition of any behaviour will ultimately become a habit. I tried to lose weight several times and failed. However, I gradually understood that maintaining consistency when it comes to your diet and workout for at least two weeks will lead to visible changes. This in itself is enough to keep you going towards the path of fitness.
What’s the most difficult part of being overweight? I had the habit of buying only a few selected items of clothing before I started gaining weight. However, as the weight kept piling on, I had to buy new outfits every six months as I was no longer able to fit into my old clothes. I had also stopped spending a lot of time outdoors as my confidence had taken a beating. Moreover, I had started to give up on things very easily due to a predetermined mindset which is not my habit.
What shape do you see yourself 10 years down the line? I would like to have a swimmer’s body with literally zero fat.
What are the lifestyle changes you made? Before I decided to lose weight, there was no routine in my life. Now I have scheduled a proper time to sleep, exercise and eat my meals. food. I curb my cravings and make it a point to stick to a disciplined clean diet.
What was the lowest point for you? I had tried to lose weight several times before as well, but could not succeed. I even tried water fasting for four days, but it did not give me any convincing results. Failing time and again was really demotivating and heartbreaking.
Lessons learnt from weight loss: To put it simply, after losing a lot of weight, I feel like the best version of myself, both and mentally. I have realised that once you put your mind to it (weight loss), there is no stopping you from unleashing your complete potential.
If you have a weight loss story to share, send it to us at [email protected]